To brew the perfect cup of coffee, you first need to make sure you’ve got all the right ingredients.
- Always start with fresh roasted coffee. Good coffee, like produce, should always be fresh. Treat coffee like bread or fruit, not like salt or pepper.
- Grind coffee only as you need it. Coffee starts losing its flavor and aroma minutes after its ground. The finer the grind, the faster the flavor and aroma dissipates. It’s best to start with room temperature coffee and grind just before you brew.
- Use the proper amount of coffee. Every brewing method has an idea ratio of coffee to water. Using different amounts will alter the taste of your brew. We have guidelines for a few different methods but you should check the manufacturer’s instructions for your particular device.
- Use filtered water. A great cup of coffee is 99% water. Good coffee needs good water. Freshly drawn water is best, especially if it’s filtered for odor and chlorine.
- Store it properly. Air, heat and light are not your coffee’s friends. Store coffee in a cool, dry place, away from light and it will stay fresher longer.